EVALUATION - What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Below is a podcast talking about the question: What have you learned from your audience feedback? Below the link is the script of what was said. 


I am going to be answering the question: What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Audience feedback has been a crucial part to the creation and development of my music video. From creating my main ideas to the final editing stages, I decided to create a target audience in order to reach their expectations. I'm going to start by talking about pre-production.In Pre-production, audience feedback was very important as it contributed to how my main media product would be created. This meant I had to build a target audience stereotype to gain understanding on what my target audience wanted to see in the music video. I asked them a series of questions including what their hobbies were, what genre of music they currently listen to, and what they would expect to see in our music video.My responses were similar with the colours used and the whole concept of whether I should do a narrative or performance video. One in particular said they would expect to see bright and vibrant colours to make the video more visually appealing. However, one person said they’d expect to seedull black and white colours to reflect the lyrics in the song.

After carrying out more planning and creating a storyboard for my music video, I showed it to another group of my target audience. I was hoping to receive criticising views, however, the target audience agreed with all my shots and locations to match the genre of the music video. However, one criticising point was that I needed a lot more shots as it didn’t go well with the beat of the music. Furthermore, I took my main inspiration from the music video that was created by fan, called 10 Feet Away by Chris Brown. The songs were asimilar tempo and they included colours and quick changing shots with as light narrative but kept it very simple. This was the idea that I was going for. When asking my target audience what they thought, they liked the idea as it kept their attention and it wasn’t too confusing with a narrative, and not too boring with just performance.

Next I am going to discuss the production stage. Pre-production audience feedback was great to give me initial ideas and opinions on what my original plan was, however this changed a lot throughout the production stages. I received regular audience feedback from my class mates whilst producing my media product, I made sure I kept feedback up to date, in order for less surprises on opinions once the media product is close to finished... But this unfortunately still happened.

I firstly collected videos of New York when I went with my family, as I knew that in R&B videos, a lot of shots are scenic and of an iconic location.When I started editing this, my target audience loved the outcome as the camera quality was very good and the filming was done with a very steadyhand. They agreed that these are the type of shots that you could see in an R&B music video. Some criticism was that a few of the night shots were a bit hard to make out and the quality wasn’t too good, so I didn’t use those particular shots.

During the second and third stage of filming, was the most crucial part for audience feedback. This was when I was filming the main singer and the girl, I received multiple opinions on how I should have both the characters.I came to the conclusion, with the majority of opinions saying I should have both of them separated but doing similar actions. Therefor I went away and filmed the boy doing his part and all of the target audience agreed that they liked the variety of shots and told me to film the girl a lot similar. Therefore,this is exactly what I done.

During the editing process I did receive regular feedback on the whole video. This was very helpful when it came down to the effects I should use and when I should transition from shot to shot. This feedback also changed a lot of the original storyboard that I created as we all agreed that the original storyboard didn’t look right, once I had put it together how I originally planned.

Now I am going to tell you about the post-production stage. While continuing with my audience feedback, I had completed the video and decided to show it to a small group of people, one comment threw me off as they thought it was ‘boring’ therefor, I took their opinion into consideration and went had an emergency film hour, where I got my main boy to try and sing the lyrics, to make the video more interactive with the characters. However, while editing these clips, it turned out that the video looked worse, with the singing part, than it did without. The main singer didn’t have the confidence needed in order to get the best lip-syncing results. So with this, I went back to the previous production and kept it the same without the singing clips.

Once I had finalised my product, I showed it to a large focus group, with a range of music taste and asked them these following 5 questions:'How effective was the music video in terms on entertainment?''How effective is the soundtrack?''How likely are you to watch the music video?''How effective did you find the colour scheme?'We also asked them to rate the video out of 5, and I got an average of 4.5total. I was happy with this completely as I believe there is always room for improvement.

Overall, I got really positive feedback from the target audience who my music video suited, however there were a few anomalies as they had the complete opposite taste in music. Therefor I had a few negative comments,that they didn’t understand the point of the video, however, I understood their opinions but didn’t take them much into consideration as they were  not my target audience. My target audience on the other hand, really enjoyed the video as a whole and thought it was very effective for my music genre.

Audience feedback was key while creating my ancillary tasks and now I am going to discuss why. With my magazine advert, I created multiple samples allowing me to choose which design I thought fit best with the music video and match the rest of my ancillary tasks. I showed 3 of my samples to my target audience and allowed them to criticise each piece and tell me how I can improve on it or combine parts of each to create one with all three designs. This feedback was crucial as I needed them to be appealing as this is the way that the audience are attracted to the music video. I then produced the final poster with all of their suggestions, other than the main colour of the poster, they really liked the final piece.

I showed my website to my target audience. Fortunately, I received no criticism for the website. They loved how it was laid out and they loved the vibrant colours. The different quirky parts, like the moving side tab and the moving background effects really drew them into the website, which was what I was aiming for. They loved the way that they could play the song on the front page and still listen to it when moving around the webpage.

My CD cover was the best and easiest audience feedback that I had received as their opinions were straight forward and very clear on what they wanted. Therefor I created 4 sample CD covers, and out of those 4,they all chose the exact same design with no complaints or changes.

Overall, in terms on my ancillary tasks, my target audience said how professional and creative the products were but most importantly the synergy established allowed all my target audience to identify with mybrand.

Overall, audience feedback was very important throughout the whole of my production process, and I hope I have explained to you exactly why that was. Thankyou for listening.

Comments